Thursday 18 October 2007

Nigella Express


I'm an ardent Nigella Lawson fan and I owe a lot of my kitchen abilities to her. She was the person who really inspired me to get adventurous in the kitchen - I had a box set of How To Be A Domestic Goddess and How To Eat given to me as a Christmas present a few years ago and since reading them keeping me out of the kitchen would be hard enough to give someone a full time job.

Despite that when I received my copy of Nigella Express I really felt something was missing. It just didn't feel like the Nigella I 'knew', too much rushing round and not enough time spent pottering around the kitchen in that effortless 'Domestic Goddess' type way.

However the more I read it and cook from it, the more I'm liking it.

Although the "Curry in a Hurry" didn't sound anything extraordinary or different, once I'd cooked it I was totally converted. The flavours were rounded and mellow but with a spiciness too, comfort in a bowl for cool autumnal nights.

I altered the recipe slightly by using chicken breasts (only because I don't like chicken legs), king prawns and mixed vegetables and served with Thai Jasmin Rice

The recipe:

Serves 6

2 x 15ml tbsp wok oil

3 x 15ml tbsp spring onions, finely chopped

3-4 x 15ml tbsp Thai green curry paste

1kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into strips about 4cm x 2cm

1 x 400ml can coconut milk

250ml boiling water

Enough chicken stock concentrate or cube for 250ml water

1 x 15ml tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)

185g frozen peas

200g frozen soya beans

150g frozen fine beans

3 x 15ml tbsp fresh coriander, chopped


1 Heat the wok oil in a large saucepan that owns a lid, drop in the spring onions and cook, stirring for a minute or two, then add the curry paste.

2 Add the chicken pieces and keep turning over heat for 2 minutes, before adding the coconut milk, stock (ie, the water plus stock concentrate or cube) and fish sauce, then the frozen peas and soya beans.

3 Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the frozen fine beans to the mix and cook for another 3–5 minutes.

4 Serve with rice or noodles, sprinkling the coriander over as you do so. Put out a plate of lime wedges for people to squeeze over as they eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really lovely. Must give it a go