Knowing how busy my work schedule is at the moment and my home life with a new puppy, I decided it would be a good idea to do a big food shop via the internet. Well it's not something I'll be doing again in a hurry, especially not through the same supermarket.
When I received my shopping, everything was really close to its sell/use by date meaning I two options - cook up a storm or battle through day by day and throw some of it. I wish I could say I chose option one but I didn't, there just weren't the hours in the day.
Last nights dinner of Pork Chop with Fennel & Potato Gratin was born out of need to use up a few of these ingredients. I made it up as I went along but am really glad I scribbled it in my notepad as it was a total winner.
Fennel & Potato Gratin
1 Fennel bulb cut into thin slices.
4 Large potatoes cut into thin slices (I used Lady Balfour)
25g Butter (unsalted)
200 ml Double cream
3 tbsp Noilly Pratt
1 tbsp chives (finely chopped)
1 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
50g Gruyere (grated)
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180'c or the alternative.
2. Place a casserole dish on the hob over a medium heat and saute the fennel with the butter until slightly golden.
3. Add the potatoes and mix to ensure all coated with the butter.
4. Add the Noilly Pratt and allow to simmer over a low heat until reduced.
5. Add the cream, milk and seasoning, bring to near boiling point and simmer for five minutes.
6. Add the herbs, mix through.
7. Scatter over the cheese and place in the oven uncovered, cook for 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.